The Russell H. and Lucie E. Atwater Fund provides the Greater New Haven community with benefits for "public, charitable and educational uses and purposes absolutely and forever."
In 1938 the Gates brothers created trusts at The New Haven Foundation. Their stipulation required that, "due consideration be given to programs that benefit the inhabitants of the Derby area." Their gifts have made it possible for The Foundation to become the largest grantmaking funder in the Naugatuck Valley.
Est. 1942 by Caroline Silverthau.
Margaret Mack's bequest is helping children and families overcome traumatic experiences and avoid the likelihood of developing mental illness by supporting one of the nation's oldest mental health outpatient facilities.
The Farnam family has been investing in New Haven's future for nearly two centuries.They are among the elite who recognize the options they have in determining how their charitable dollars are spent.
Est. 1993 by bequest of Grace Donahue and Doris Feldman.
Frances C. Doolittle established a fund by bequest in 2000 to support programs benefiting children and youth in the Greater New Haven community. The Fund has supported the NHTV internship program which enables students to learn about media production.
Family members remember Dr. Miller for her compassionate nature: "...Her humanity, seeing and treating everyone as an equal, a fellow human being...her sense of humor... her willingness to give of herself - to be there for her friends, her colleagues, her patients and her family - to listen to them and to help."
In 1947, Albert L. Haasis left a gift of $101,000 to The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven to be used for broad charitable purposes including what is now known as the New Haven YMCA – Friends of Boys.
In 1948, Frederick Foster Brewster anonymously endowed a general fund to give every citizen the opportunity to contribute to the Greater New Haven community's permanent endowment.