Donor Briefing Recap: Celebrating Black Philanthropy Month
On August 20, 2020, Dr. Jackie Bouvier Copeland shared her inspiring journey to found and co-create Black Philanthropy Month, a global campaign observed every August that celebrates and elevates the rich giving traditions of all African-decedent people.
In a moderated conversation with Dr. Leon Bailey Jr., Senior Vice President for Human Resources and Organizational Culture at The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven, Copeland also discussed the global problem of environmental racism, the long history of giving within Black communities and the role of philanthropy in creating equity throughout the world.
Not to miss! Saturday, August 29, from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m is the Black Philanthropy Month Virtual Summit - Reunity: PAWPNet Reunion, Black Giving and Beyond. REGISTER HERE
View the Recording
What We Heard
- People of African descent in the U.S. give the highest percentage of their incomes to philanthropy among all racial and ethnic groups.
- Black giving and mutual aid has a long and rich history including the creation of the Underground Railroad and African liberation movements.
- African immigrant communities have brought a rich tapestry of cultural giving practices to the U.S. and offer models for inclusive philanthropy.
- In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, foundations need to better support economic justice in Black communities and fund grassroots innovators.
- Climate change is having a disproportionately negative impact on people of color around the world.
What We Can Do
- Sign up for the Black Philanthropy Month Virtual Summit - Reunity: PAWPNet Reunion, Black Giving and Beyond, Saturday, August 29, from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. REGISTER HERE
- Support Black-led organizations.
- Support Black-led businesses.
- Black Philanthropy Month: Website for the annual giving event.
- The Prosperity Foundation: An independent Community Foundation focused on creating a unique impact in Connecticut’s Black Communities in the areas of education, health and economics.
- Celebrating Black Philanthropy: Stories and highlights from The Community Foundation.
- Toward Health Equity in Connecticut: A recent DataHaven report about social Inequality and the impact of COVID-19.
About The Foundation's Donor Briefing Series
Our ongoing Donor Briefing series invites guest experts to discuss urgent issues affecting us locally and nationally and to inform us about what can be done.
Did you miss one of our past donor briefings? Recordings and recaps of previous panel discussions can be found here: Past donor briefings.