Disaster Relief in Response to the Hawaiian Wildfires
Philanthropic resources to support recovery
Our hearts are with the residents of the Hawaiian island of Maui.
At the time of this post, more than 100 people have been confirmed dead as a result of the wildfires, making this the deadliest U.S. wildfire in more than a century. As a result, a major disaster declaration has been issued by President Biden. With the widespread devastation to homes and buildings, at least 11,000 people are experiencing power outages. The historic port town of Lahaina has been hit especially hard. With only a quarter of the Maui wildfire burn area searched thus far, those numbers are, sadly, only expected to increase.
To support the recovery, please consider donating to one or more of the following organizations that are coordinating relief efforts, as compiled by The Council on Foundations.
As updates about the impact of the wildfires are known and opportunities to support long-term recovery become available, this page will be updated with resources and information.
- Online panel discussion: Hawaiʻi wildfires: What will recovery look like? | Center for Disaster Philanthropy was held August 17, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. ET. The Center for Disaster Philanthropy is hosting a webinar to address the urgent and long-term needs of communities affected by the wildfires. Watch the recording at the link above.
- 2023 North American Wildfires – Center for Disaster Philanthropy Relief Funds
- Hawaiʻi Community Foundation- Maui Strong Fund
- GlobalGiving – Hawaiʻi Wildfire Relief Fund
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy- Hawaiʻi Wildfires Recovery Fund
- Council for Native Hawaiian Advancement- Hawaiian Way Fund
- The Center for Disaster Philanthropy - a resource for those needing support in mobilizing a philanthropic response to disasters.
- FEMA - a critical federal resource before, during, and after a disaster hits. Visit FEMA'S Hawaiʻi Wildfires page for additional news and information.
Additional Resources for Disaster Relief
The Center for Disaster Philanthropy is a full-time resource dedicated to helping donors maximize their impact through expert resources, community-driven grantmaking and philanthropic consulting services.