1 Donor, 8 Funds; An Eternity of Giving
Est. 1976 by bequest of Dorothy M. Pryde.
Dorothy Pryde had a goal.
She was the last of her family line. After her parents died, Dorothy remained in the family homestead, taught school, sang in the church choir and kept up the many charitable interests of the family. When she sat down with her attorney to write her will, she knew just what she wanted - to perpetuate the family name and to endow as family memorials specific charities important to her and her parents.
Her attorney asked The Community Foundation to help. The Foundation structured eight different funds, named in various combinations for Dorothy and her parents, and all designated for specific charities or their successors.
Since Dorothy's death in 1976, the funds she established have distributed grants supporting the Women's Federation of First Church of Christ in New Haven, the Town of Orange Library and First Presbyterian Church in New Haven, choir/music or scholarship loan fund at the First Church of Christ in New Haven, college scholarships for girls to attend Connecticut College, college scholarships for graduating students from Hillhouse High School, and scholarships administered by the Connecticut Golf Association and the Hamden/North Haven YMCA.
One of the funds Dorothy created is named for her father Robert D. Pryde, who was a Scotsman, an inventor, and the designer in 1896 of the first golf course in New Haven, which is now part of Racebrook Country Club.
Make a donation