What it Means to Give Forever
You’ve lived here. You’ve worked here. You are part of this community’s past and present. By creating a permanent fund with The Community Foundation, you have the opportunity to make a difference during your lifetime and, at the same time, provide for the community you care about for generations to come. As needs, opportunities and the nonprofits that address them change over time, your wishes are preserved and grants continue to make life better in the name of the fund you establish.
The types of permanent funds that you can create—throughout your lifetime and/or through your estate—are flexible in their design to provide something for everyone.
|The chart above illustrates the impact of just one of The Community Foundation’s approximately 1000 individual funds that contribute to the community’s $630+ million endowment. As the Anne Hope Bennett Fund has grown over time with careful stewardship, more and more grants have been distributed to nonprofit organizations serving the region – a total far surpassing Anne’s original gift.
How it Works
- You make a gift of $10,000 to The Community Foundation - you can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets. Ask us about options for making gifts over time that add up to this minimum amount.
- We set up a special fund in your name, in the name of your family or business, or in honor of any person or organization you choose.
- You receive tax benefits in the year you make your gift.
- The principle of your fund is never spent, and it can grow over time to generate an increasing stream of funding devoted to your interest areas and this community (see illustration below).
- We handle all the administrative details and issue grants to charities in the name of the fund you establish (if you prefer, grants can be made anonymously).
- Your gift is placed into an endowment – pooled with others to achieve maximum investment efficiency and return - that is invested over time. Earnings from your fund are used to make grants addressing community needs. Your gift - and all future earnings from your gift - is a permanent source of community capital, helping to do good work forever.
Most charitable gifts qualify for maximum tax advantage under federal law. Whether you choose to give today or give tomorrow, The Community Foundation offers a full range gift options. For more information and ideas on ways to integrate your financial planning with charitable giving, ask your financial advisor or contact The Community Foundation at 203-777-2386.