Purposeful Boards, Powerful Fundraising
March 27, 2020: Presenter Chuck Loring presents a popular day-long workshop that takes a close look at board recruitment, structure, operations and culture.
|Popular presenter Chuck Loring.|
March 27, 2020
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (check-in begins at 8:00 a.m.)
JCC of Greater New Haven
360 Amity Road, Woodbridge
It is of the utmost importance that Boards and staff work together effectively to solicit financial support for your organization. Designed for Board-staff teams, this practical session addresses the complementary roles Board members play in their organization's governance and resource development.
The session begins with a close look at Board recruitment, structure, operations, and culture, knowing that weak Boards don't raise funds effectively. The second part of the session focuses on how to involve Board members in effective fundraising.
Topics covered in this day-long session include:
- trends impacting governance & fundraising in the nonprofit sector
- the stages of Board evolution that impact Board performance and why some nonprofits confuse volunteering with governance
- legal obligations of nonprofit Boards and best practices surrounding Board roles and responsibilities and Board recruitment
- how the lack of effective Board structure can kill fundraising
- how successful fundraising is not about asking for money
- periodic fundraising exercises you can do with your Board
- how to get your Board to articulate your organization's value to the community
- how every single willing Board member can be a great fundraiser
To maximize the benefit of this session, each organization must have the Executive Director and at least three Board members in attendance. Having staff and Board members from the same organization attend on the same day as a team will enhance the experience. Additional Board and staff participants are strongly encouraged to attend. The registration fee of $150 covers the attendance of up to six people from an organization. Additional participants may be added for a fee of $25 per person.
Organizations participating in Purposeful Boards, Powerful Fundraising for the first time will have the opportunity to have at least four hours of one-to-one follow up consultation with an expert on Board roles and responsibilities at no additional cost.
Presenter: Chuck V. Loring, MBA, CFRE is a Senior Governance Associate for BoardSource and senior partner of Loring, Sternberg & Associates, based in Fort Lauderdale and Indianapolis, which provides governance consulting services to nonprofits. Chuck has helped hundreds of local and regional nonprofits across the country strengthen their boards and improve governance practices, and advanced the missions of world-renowned organizations such as Special Olympics, Second Harvest Food Banks, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, The Susan G. Komen Foundation, and the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian. Chuck also conducts training programs for funding organizations, including a host of community foundations across the country.
Return to the Workshop & Events page.