Creating Opportunity Through Career Pathways in Local Growth Sectors
|(L-R) Jamison Scott, executive director of New Haven Manufacturers Association, Patricia Melton, president of New Haven Promise, Dorinda Manner, executive director, Talent Acquisition at Yale New Haven Health serve on a panel moderated by Shelly Saczynski, former director - Economic and Community Development at UIL Holdings Corp at The Foundation's September 2019 Convening on Creating A Future of Opportunity.|
Jobs and opportunities exist in advanced manufacturing.
The center of manufacturing is in industrial parks, not urban cores.
- More connection is needed between educational institutions with the workforce needs of manufacturers.
- Healthcare is the largest sector and has good-paying jobs that don't require a college degree.
- New Haven Promise has intentionally provided education resources and scholarships to students from neighborhoods with the greatest need.
- Promise scholars are concentrating their studies and job searches in the largest sectors of the Greater New Haven Economy
New Haven Manufacturer's Association (NHMA) is an association whose members include manufacturers of all kinds, located throughout Connecticut.
New Haven Promise is a first-of-its-kind scholarship program in Connecticut that provides scholarships up to 100% tuition for residents and graduates of New Haven Public Schools and approved charter schools. Promise is revitalizing the City of New Haven through increased educational attainment, increasing home ownership rates, cultivating a culture of college-readiness, reducing high school dropout rates, and promoting community and parental engagement. Promise is proudly supported and funded by Yale, The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven, Yale-New Haven Health, and Wells Fargo.
- New Haven Jobs and Promise scholar majors and career focus
- Poverty Rates and New Haven Promise investments
Yale New Haven Health is Connecticut's leading healthcare system, consisting of Bridgeport, Greenwich, Lawrence + Memorial, Yale New Haven and Westerly hospitals, and Northeast Medical Group, a physician foundation of primary care and medical specialists.