How DAFs Work
Opening a donor advised fund (DAF) at The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven allows you or your family to make a gift now, and then remain actively involved in how your gifts are used.
The first step to establishing your donor advised fund is to complete an application. This can be done online, in person or through the mail. Establishing a DAF can start with a $10,000 tax-deductible gift.*
Your gifts may take any number of forms, including:
- Cash and credit card gifts
- Securities: publicly traded securities, mutual fund shares, restricted securities and closely-held or founders stock. Download our stock transfer instructions.
- Property and Other Assets: Real estate, art, antiques, collectibles and other tangible personal property are accepted on a case-by-case basis. The Community Foundation’s knowledgeable team of philanthropic advisors can assist you with your preferred giving options.
Once your fund is established, you may:
- Recommend how these funds are granted to your favorite causes
- Select investment options that best support your goals and plan
* to meet the $10,000 minimum, contributions may be made over a period of time, typically 3-5 years per written agreement
Choose your Investment Option
You have the opportunity to invest in three different investment vehicles that provide you the flexibility to meet your charitable giving objectives.
With the Cash option, your donor advised fund is held in cash or cash equivalent to preserve capital without risk or appreciation, and is readily available for grantmaking at all times.
The Intermediate Fund is a diversified portfolio of liquid assets to provide you the opportunity for some appreciation with moderate risk. Assets are readily available for grantmaking at all times.
The Perpetual Fund seeks to preserve the real economic spending power of your donor advised fund over time. To meet this objective, only a percentage (%) of your fund's market value is available to recommend for grantmaking each year.
A minimum of of $10,000 is required to establish a DAF. You may invest in any combination of these vehicles.
If you are looking to retain the services of your personal financial advisor, a customized program is available for funds of $100,000 or more.*
For more information, please call 203-777-7071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*An amount above the Spending Rule rate may be requested twice per year (by October 1st or March 31st) of up to 25% of fund’s then market value.
What are the Costs?
The work of The Community Foundation is supported, in part, by a fee assessed on the funds entrusted to its care. An annual fee, currently one percent of the value of your donor advised fund, is calculated on June 30th.
Investment management fees based on your selected investment options are also applied. The average of 0.75% is currently used for the Perpetual Fund option. All fees are deducted from the donor advised fund assets.
Ready to get Started?