Board Practices and Best Practices
April 4, 2020
9:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m. (check-in begins at 8:30 a.m.)
The Greek Olive
402 Sargent Dr, New Haven
The most effective organizations have boards and staff that work together effectively. The session begins with a close look at board recruitment, structure, operations and culture, and explores the responsibility to provide financial sustainability. Designed for board-staff teams, this practical session addresses the complementary roles board members play in their organization's governance and resource development. Topics covered in this half-day session will include:
- BoardSource’s Ten Basic Responsibilities; Legal Obligations
- Board Member Recruitment
- On-boarding new Board members
- Running a good Board meeting
- Assessing Board and Board member performance
- Board’s relationship with the Executive Director
- Staff and Board Succession planning
- Fundraising is everyone’s job
To maximize the benefit of this session, each organization must have at least one staff member and at least three Board members in attendance. All volunteer organizations should come with a team of four. Additional Board and staff participants are strongly encouraged to attend.
> Return to the Workshop & Events page.