Photo credit: Harold Shapiro. Jean Kelley is a long-time supporter of our community who establibshed a donor advised fund at The Foundation in 1997. Donors like Jean find donating securities a smart way to give for the tax advantages it offers. Kelley, the former Board president of Leila Day Nursery Inc., (Connecticut’s oldest continuing child care center), chose The Community Foundation to carry out her charitable giving because of its knowledge about effective philanthropy and local nonprofits. Learn more about the benefits of donor advised funds.
The Community Foundation accepts most securities as charitable gifts. Such gifts will be valued at the mean market value on the date of the gift. After the security is liquidated, the remaining value of the gift is available to support your charitable goals.
- Gifts of appreciated securities offer tax advantages, as their full fair market value is deductible as a charitable contribution up to 30% of your adjusted gross income each year when you itemize deductions.
- Deduction amounts that exceed the limit can be carried forward for up to five additional years.
- You do not have to pay federal or state capital gains taxes on the appreciated portion of the gift.
For electronic transfers:
1. Prior to transferring shares, please contact Dotty Weston-Murphy (203-777-7081) at The Community Foundation and provide the following information:
- Name of your broker and firm assisting with the transfer;
- Stock name and number of shares;
- How you would like this gift to be used (i.e., the fund or purpose to which the gift should be directed);
2. Please advise us, directly or through your broker, when the stock transfer is complete. Once the gift is received and processed by The Community Foundation, a gift acknowledgement letter will be sent to you.
3. Click on the icon below to download instructions for completing an electronic transfer of securities.
Stock Transfer Instructions
If you have any questions, please contact Linda Estacion at 203-777-7069 or via email.
For a paper certificate:
1. Mail your unendorsed (not signed) certificates to The Foundation:
Ms. Linda Estacion
Director of Donor Services and Development Operations
The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven
70 Audubon Street
New Haven, CT 06510
2. Send us, in a separate envelope, a signed Irrevocable Stock/Bond Power Form. (Please do not mail the certificates and Irrevocable Stock/Bond form together, as the certificates would be negotiable.)
If you have any questions about paper certificates, please contact Linda Estacion at 203-777-7069 or via email.